Sunday, April 19, 2009

It takes a village to move us!











You would think after 7 moves that we'd have it down by now, but this was the first time I had to sort through all of our earthly possessions and make very emotionally based decisions about them! It started with the realization that we'd need to have a garage sale. The kids were thrilled as they could finally have their lemonade stand. It seemed that God sent my guardian angels day by day to take care of my every need. My dear friend Mandi - whom I call garage sale queen (actually she's the garage sale princess, her mom is the queen!) came to help me plan and get organized. Then the rest of my angels came one by one - my wonderful husband, my dear neighbor Julie, Megan, Irene, Jaime, Sarah, Larry and Tressie, Pam, and my out of town angel Marria flew in to help close up the event! You would thought after the volume of stuff that we got rid of that packing would have been easy, but not the case. We had to decide what to store, what to ship on the plane and what to send in cargo. Our families so generously offered to give up the right to all of their closets, attics, storage sheds, etc (ok so we threatened them with the grandkids if they said no!). Thanks to all the family who have made so many sacrifices - of the house, heart and back! And a special hug to Papa Don for orchestrating the huge move. We will forever be indebted to all of you!







I think I was in a complete daze for the next few weeks of packing. It was a series of lasts of everything and I was becoming completely numb. Thank goodness for my dear rescue relief - Rob and Barb, our official moving consultants - what would we have done without you?? Thank you for offering up your home for almost a week - (we'll always remember Five Mile Creek) and for the good marriage counseling on the side when Iwas about to implode from one more time of learning to be flexible!! (I am not your enemy!!) And the amazing gals that came and helped me pack my clothes and homeschool room until the wee hours of the morning - Jaime, Kerry, Mandi, Rachel, Cam- and the support groups back at home!


At last we were finally down to the last day. Jaime, Ed, Isaiah and Gideon came to save the day and keep us focused while we got the boxes weighed and on the truck. I will never forget the amazing hail and thunderstorm right before we left - it reminded me of how the Israelites might have felt leaving Egypt. Loaded with the treasures to take with them into their journey to the other side of the world - remembering the power of God that spoke as they left, and taking memories with them of a world they were leaving, not knowing what was in store of the world to come.

As we drove out at 9 pm I looked up and saw a beautiful moon that had emerged from the clouds. I felt like it was put there just for me, to light my way on my new journey, to remember the beauty of the Ozarks as I drove away, and to smile at me as if to say - I'm always with you, even if you're half way around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment