I haven't been around in the blogosphere much in 2012. My camera has been lost for the last half of the year so there aren't many photos, which is probably a good thing as I'm not sure I wanted to document the mishaps that were abundant last year. Reflection has also reminded me of the many miracles that shaped our year as well. Here's a recap.
MIRACLE: W and I headed off to a new Montessori school in January - he joined grade 2 and I resumed my student teaching after a 4 year and 9000 mile hiatus. God brought me to the only school in South Africa that was linked to my American Montessori training program from 2008 in the USA. They agreed to let me do my student teaching and complete my certification.
MIRACLE: S was applying to high schools and hoped to attend one of the best schools in the country in Westville. Because we were out of area and with no confirmed work visa, it was unlikely that as one of the 750 applicants we would get one of the 250 positions. Ten days after we apply, he receives acceptance to the school and an academic scholarship!
MIRACLE: A job drops in Cam's lap. It happens to be on a different continent than where we were looking, but we'll take it! Wal-Mart purchases South Africa's largest retailer - Mass Mart and Cam becomes the Chief Enterprise Architect in their IT - and after a year long wait, the work visa came through and he started with the company in May. His dream job!
MIRACLE: We found a lovely duplex next to a river to rent in Westville and decided we would move in before we went home for our annual USA trip in June. We bought 2 used cars. Volkswagens - finally Cam has the sunroof he's always wanted. I have the minivan. Life is looking rosy!
MISHAP: I happened to break my elbow on Cam's 2nd day of work. I can't say that it was exciting as I literally only missed 2 steps on the way down the stairs before I landed on the concrete below. Unfortunately our insurance only kicked in on his 3rd day of work so the ER visit was all ours!
MIRACLE: It was my left arm - not the writing hand and my new car happened to be an automatic so I could actually get around the problem of shifting gears with my broken left arm. My dear friend came and typed up all of the lessons and scanned all the photos I had left for my Montessori deadline of 2 weeks later- all 500 of them.
MISHAP: Travelling across continents (Durban, Dubai, Dallas) for 3 days with 3 children and a broken arm made for a real adventure- especially sans husband for the first time.
![]() |
| Before |
![]() |
| After |
MISHAP: Cam is stung by a stingray in San Diego. Infection sets in by the time we get to Colorado and by the time we get to Texas he has to go to the Emergency Room. Oh and that new insurance from the new job? It doesn't work in the USA. Ouch - realizing how cheap South African ER visits are compared to American ones.
MISHAP: We have to quickly sell our 20 year accumulated possessions from storage in Texas before we go. It gives real perspective to garage sale what you've worked your whole life to possess. Guess the stuff really isn't that important after all.... but feel a bit frustrated that we're about to go back to the other side of the world and purchase all these same things for our new home. All we own in the USA now fits into a 6 foot by 6 foot room.
MIRACLE: We arrive in Westville at our new home. The church has graciously blessed us to borrow the furniture we were using in their flat. Cam has moved it while I was away and our maid has set up the entire house while we were gone. Clothes in the closets, beds made, kitchen all set up. A dear friend has put groceries in our fridge and a home cooked meal. I am stunned to tears at how blessed I am.
MISHAP: My wonderful minivan drives for about a week then has the transmission go out. For the next 3 months I will be without a vehicle while they try to figure out the problem, order parts from overseas, etc. Some days I am driving 400k a day in Cam's Jetta - as the older kids are still attending their school in the city and Cam works on the north side and we live on the West side. I am able to keep perspective as many friends donate lifts, cars and encouragement during this time. (7 months later, the car still isn't fully fixed)
MISHAP: I have a wreck in Cam's car and now we are without transportation. He is traveling a lot for the company and I become a single mom for a lot of the time. Due to the pressures of life, I end my student teaching at the Montessori and lose the chance to complete my certification. Trying to put all my energy into being mom of teens is exhausting!
MIRACLE: Cam is able to go and visit Bentonville, Arkansas for almost a month with his work. He sees our families and friends and enjoys snow while he is there. This of course is a mishap for me as I have a second car accident, manage year end school insanity on my own and lose internet access during this time!
MIRACLE: At the end of the year, a dear friend offers her ocean side cottage to us for the holidays. Reunited as a family, we enjoy a lovely week together and reminisce that for the last 3 years, we have enjoyed these gifted holidays all over Africa and we are in awe of how God works so generously in our lives.
2012 - well at least you didn't end the way the rest of the world thought you would - we didn't fall off the face of existence! We gained a new perspective that through the mishaps come the miracles.







No comments:
Post a Comment