Now what could Rick be up to in this photo? A guy who hates cats - holding one and smiling?? What do beer, bovril and mozzarella all have in common? Well the story goes like this......
We were house sitting for my friend and looking after her dog Bovril and her cat Mozzarella. Yes they have a thing for naming their pets after food! Mozzarella is not allowed out of the house at night and so it was our job to make sure she was safe and sound. Before the family left, they only gave me one instruction - about 3 times- whatever you do, make sure Mozzarella is inside.
The Szabos arrived and we had a great evening - eating outside on the verandah, kids playing in the garden and swimming in the pool. Outdoor living to the fullest. The sun headed down and I went to look for the cat. She was known for hiding, so I spent the first 30 minutes inside with all the kids hunting her down. By then, I knew she had to be outside. The pit of my stomach began to ache as I thought of those sweet kids and their trusting eyes when they left saying - "look after her and keep her safe." This was a massive, dark garden - where to look? As luck would have it, it began to rain. After a few minutes of engaging both families, it was down to me out in the rain looking for the cat. The whining to my husband had produced no results..... But honey - how will I ever face our friends if I've lost their cat? The kids will never forgive me! Then came the response - it's raining, it's dark and it's a cat. We'll look for it in the morning.
I gave up on the back garden and headed into the front. The dogs were out there, maybe they could sniff her out. When I was all but about to give up hope - there he came, my knight in shining armor with a bright light! Rick, the guy who puts cats right up there on the list with colonoscopies, had come to my rescue! He had a beer in one hand and a flashlight in the other. We began to tag team the massive shrubs and with the 2 dogs aiding us, we were able to finally track her down - wet, cold and NOT coming out. As he strategized, we cornered her and Rick finally got her out. I knew we would be forever friends after this trial we had endured together. What sacrificial love, to spend your first night in Durban chasing down a wet cat that has absolutely no meaning to you in the pouring rain. And to think after all that, they even extended their visit for another week to endure the Beeler budget torture! Now that's what I call a true friend!
Now as to how he and Cam hit it off? Well that's another story.........



you graciously didn't mention me and my early surrender. Thanks :)
ReplyDelete