Saturday, February 12, 2011

Signs of South Africa

I have always been fascinated with signs.
Signs can guide, inform, influence, offend and entertain us.
They are the landmarks of my journey here.
This is the first sign that I saw as we stepped off the plane into hot, balmy Durban airport
Excitement building for the 2010 World Cup
The sign in the World Cup Moses Mabhida stadium.

The sign on the church where I live.
I LOVE this logo - we put it on everything we do - shirts, cars, buildings, flyers, etc.
Here it is in zulu

Love the animals of South Africa!!
Boulders Bay, Capetown

Oudsthoorn- very Afrikaans
Vervet monkeys in Plettenberg Bay- very cheeky
Eco friendly fish eating guidelines
Oddly - I live a few miles from the ocean and eat less fish than I did when I was in the U.S.
Yeah, they can get under there no problem
Biltong is like jerky, but infinitely better.
Wish it wasn't illegal to bring it back to the US.
Favorite flavors: kudu, ostrich

This sign is too funny - and too real. Really.
Cam was brave enough to ride the canopy.
Stunning and full of baboons!
Rural village - Candu

Now these make me laugh!

To create jobs, the petrol stations have attendants that pump your fuel for you like the old days.
Translation: We put leaded fuel in your unleaded car - your problem.
We forget to put your oil cap on after checking your oil - your problem.
You drive off with the fuel pump still in the car - your problem.
(Hey - I wonder if they told them in South Africa that I really did this in Arkansas??)
The banker in me always has to look at the banks.
There is no drive thru banking in South Africa.
True bankers hours still exist here!

Too funny - a box designed for inefficiencies.
This is where you put the mail that was delivered in error to your house.

1 comment:

  1. I like the petrol signs. I buy my gas in NJ because it's close and it's about 50 cents cheaper a gallon. Plus it's illegal to pump your own gas in NJ! So I get it for cheaper and get it done for me. :)

    ReplyDelete