Tuesday, December 1, 2009
A Dallas country girl in Africa
I was hosted to a surprise party for my birthday last week. A dear group of my friends collaborated with my husband to cook me a thanksgiving dinner menu that was delicious! The older kids knew about it, and kept the secret the whole time!
My new friends from the UK wrote a song in my honor, "A Dallas Country Girl in Africa."
A funny story about why I'm known as the Dallas girl, even though I've lived in Arkansas the last 15 years. Most people here in South Africa have no clue where Arkansas is on the U.S. map (just like a lot of my U.S. friends didn't know South Africa was actually a country and not a region of Africa!). South Africa received TV in 1976 for the first time, and one of the most popular shows was the TV series Dallas. Everyone here used to watch it and as a result knows "all" about Texas! So it's easier just to tell people we're from Dallas. Once a Texan, always a Texan! The locals are impressed that Cam and I have actually been to Southfork Ranch on one of our first dates. As a kid, I have great memories of going every weekend to my grandmother's house and watching Dallas with my mom and aunts.
So here is a video of the song they wrote. The quality is not so great from my camera, so I've included the lyrics following the clip. How blessed I am to have so many thoughtful and caring friends! Thanks to all of my family and friends for making this such a special day for me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIw8KUHWKY0
Once there was a country girl and her name was Kim.
Got married to potato head when apparently he was slim.
She's a Dallas country girl
She grew up there in Dallas, her daddy had a ranch
But Cam had new ideas, so to Africa they branched.
She's a Dallas country girl in Africa, she's a Dallas country girl.
Kim now lives in KZN in a place called Durban Hall
She'd rather like to have us round and roast turkey for y'all
She's a Dallas country girl.
Cam says she's American again, again, again
But perhaps... She's Canadian
She's a Dallas Country Girl in Africa. She's a Dallas country girl.
Her husband Cam he drives her nuts, he's always running late
But I don't believe he was that slow for that kiss on their first date.
She's a Dallas country girl.
My Cam he is a raspberry, now why did she say that?
He is her favorite indulgence, but I prefer a cat!
She's a Dallas country girl in Africa, she's a Dallas country girl.
Her 3 kids are lovely,
Shiloh, Ani and Wyatt
But when they see our hamster Tiff
there is no peace and quiet.
She's a Dallas country girl.
When she taught at Happy's,
was it something that they said?
They thought the popcorn was for them
but instead she threw it over her head, and it fell on the floor, and it made a huge mess........
So coming to South Africa for 3 years is quite a feat,
to find such dedication would be difficult to beat.
She's a Dallas country girl.
Now part of our big family, she's charming, kind and witty
we wish you a happy birthday with our little ditty
She's a Dallas country girl in Africa!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment